It was incredible! You all know how much I was looking forward to it and it actually exceeded my expectations!
Above, you will find a link to view a slide show-in-progress. It will update as I receive more pictures. Hint, Hint! Please send them ;)
Don't skip over the pictures just because you're not from Sebring! I have some surprises in there for my BFF's here in Brandon/Tampa . . . guess what? I stayed out past midnight! Two nights in a row! Oh, yes, I did! And the pictures are there to prove it!
Well, where do I even begin? Although I think the pictures and the slideshow tell the story the best, I will have to try to express in words what it was like . . . so here goes. I don't know how many of you reading my blog have experienced your own 20-year reunion as of yet. So, I don't know if this was "the norm" or not . . . but, it felt like we never spent one day apart after all of these years! We have all gone in so many different directions, experienced life on so many different levels, (most) have gotten married, had children (some who are even teenagers), almost every career imaginable is represented, some have been around the world, some have never left home; and, yet we all came home this weekend to be together and the friendships were right there, just still waiting, as if we never had gone anywhere! I have told everyone I've talked to today that the best word I could use to explain it is . . . comfortable.
It was simply all about re-connecting. The questions were more on the lines of "where do you live now?" or "do you have kids?" "so, how many?" "what are their names?" "how old are they?" They were the type of questions that REALLY matter. There was no concern over what job you had, how much you make, how big or small your house is . . . Every one of us seemed to "get it," to really know what's important.
So, what's the secret? Was it the way we were all brought up? Was it the small town atmosphere? Is it just the "state" of our world and economy right now? I don't know. I do know one thing . . . it was DEFINITELY true friendships in their purest form!
We started off Friday night with a yummy meal that Kelly made! Thank you, again, girlie! It was so nice to spend some time with you, Kim, and your family! Then, we were off for a reunion with a mixture of classes from the early 1980's through the early 1990's. We all met at The Watering Hole in Sebring. Now, let me tell you something . . . the only other time(s) I had ever been to The Watering Hole was when I was . . . yes, I'll say it, UNDERAGE! (I can say that now because in the past 20 years I have divulged ALL of my secrets to my Mom who happens to my best friend now! . . . and you ALL know how strict my Momma was!) Anyway, we were able to get into The Watering Hole back then thanks to someone who will remain nameless for his sake because he was (still is?) in law enforcement! Go figure! Back then, The Watering Hole was a dive! I had been told that "Oh, it's changed! They have GREAT food. It's a restaurant now!" Well . . . yes they DO have a good steak and everyone gets a nice little bowl of fresh cut fruit which was yummy. But, REALLY? Must they use that much garlic? I am not kidding you that I smelled the garlic in my hair on Saturday morning. David said that everything he had tasted like shrimp scampi but he didn't have any shrimp scampi . . . . . do you see how off track I can get? I really don't think that there had ever been even as much of a new nail being put into that place since the late 80's . . . but it didn't matter! And, was the live alligator still there? I didn't see it but the sign still says it. Oh, my friends here are dying right now reading this!
Anyway . . . we had SOOOOO MUCH fun Friday night. Okay girlies, guess what? I didn't leave until 2:00AM!! Aren't you proud? My friends here think I am such a party pooper! We laughed and we laughed! And, I might remind some of you, that we have made PROMISES to get together in March! Races, here we come! I'm just sad that it doesn't fall on St. Patrick's Day this next year because I wanted to see (I'll leave out the names) wearing another green garter and collecting $!!!!! What was that? 1987? 1988? I don't know. Seriously y'all, we PROMISED!
Saturday came and I told David that I would take him for "The Grand Tour" of Sebring! I had SERIOUSLY shown him everything from The Circle, SMS, SHS, a nice relaxing drive around Lake Jackson, Sebring Raceway, and everything in between . . . . and it was only 45 minutes into our day! I love it! So, we were able to go visit with some of my absolute dearest friends (John and Kym) and spent a while with them and two of their beautiful children! I swore I was going to bring Greer home with me! Then back to drop David off at the hotel (which BTW I was VERY impressed with . . .Inn on the Lakes!) and Kristy and I hit Ross and Marshalls . . . it was better than the mall which has an anchor store of KMart! We had fun shopping and then actually got to sit for almost an hour at Starbucks just talking! I NEVER get to do that.
Saturday night held all of the same fun that Friday night had! And I had more energy than I can remember having in a very long time! The whole weekend was energizing for me. It felt so good to make those re-connections, to sit and talk with friends who I haven't seen in years, to give lots of hugs and kisses, to laugh, to dance, to tell stories, to "remember when," and to laugh some more! It's funny how we created so many more memories during this weekend meant to share the old ones.
I do want to say a HUGE "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You" to all of the spouses out there who came this weekend and let us be "us!" Especially thank you to my husband, David, who even took the pictures for me!
Until next time . . . . Never Say Goodbye!!



2 comments:
Love your song collection. I graduated just one year prior to you and Never Say Goodbye was also our prom song!! I still get a little nostalgic when 80's music is on. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and I am glad you had a great time!!
OK girl i looks like you had a BLAST! My 20th is sometime this year, I have no clue if I'm going or not. I missed my 10th, Chris couldn't go and I so wasn't going alone! I was more a part of Chris' class than mine, different school and all.
I have two things to say about your pictures.
1. You're right, I CANNOT believe you were out that late. I think you have just mastered photo shop!
2. Very funny with the New York dancing! I just need to know were you doing that for the picture or were you just BUSTED feeling the moment?
Love ya girlie!
Post a Comment