Wednesday, August 27, 2008

BE STILL!

I told you all in my first post that things in the McAuley household are in a state of constant change. At least that is how it has felt for the past few years. Buckle your seatbelts . . . cause here we go again . . .

I don't know if I am delirious or not, but sometimes this ride seems a little comical, sometimes it makes me just break down and have a really good cry (BTW, thanks Momma for always lending your shoulder! Because it is always and only to my Mom that I can show that side), sometimes I'm internally burning with anxiety, sometimes I'm just quiet, but one thing ALWAYS makes me come around to my senses. And that is my faith.

Perseverance? Got it covered!
Patience? Check!
Hope? Always!
Joy? I try to find it in ANY situation! So, check!
Grace? I better have it cause I'm a Southern-bred gal!
Stillness? Okay, WHOA! HOLD UP! That is just NOT in my vocabulary. When, might I ask, am I supposed to be still? I mean, I have a home, a husband, two small children, my volunteer duties at their school, my volunteer charity duties, my gym time, my email, laundry, cooking, homework, who am I kidding? You all know the drill because you all do it too! Be Still? But that has stuck out at me this week like a sore thumb!

Let me back up and give you a little background . . . last year I decided to follow a dream in getting back into my career path in education. My desire is to pick up a little ahead of where I left off in the administrative realm/managerial/marketing side of things. So, I resigned my position as a classroom teacher because I want to pursue something a little bigger for me professionally. Long story short, I am still looking for that place where God wants me. Yes, we were one income down. Well . . . . David, yes my super-conservative, ultra-money-sensitive, stress-monger of a husband, whose nickname most of the time is "McAuley-stein" whom I love with all my heart, yes, he also is pursuing a dream of his and ALSO resigned his position in the medical sales profession just 3 weeks ago. Are you keeping score? Yes, that would be TWO incomes down! But I am so proud of him!! He had to resign his position to pursue finishing his firefighter training for 6 weeks in Ocala. He has done a phenomenal job at going to school at night and on weekends this past year and this is the last course he needs.

So, summer was fun. It kept me busy. I was paid throughout the summer because of my pay structure. Then . . . the girls started school . . . David is gone . . . and STILLNESS! Is this where you wanted me Lord? Are you sure? Because this quiet house sounds really strange. I did laundry last night at 10:30, cleaned this weekend, washed the sheets this morning at 6:00, plants are watered, did I mention how quiet and STILL everything seems? Are you calling me to sit down with you?

Psalm 46:10 clearly tells us to "Be still, and know that I am God." As I studied that verse today, I found that God requires my UNDIVIDED attention to be able to communicate His will to me. Being still requires us to quiet our spirit. Have you ever tried that? I mean REALLY tried it? To not have everything else on your "to-do" list running through your head? To not pay any attention to the little things that need done around the house? As women, that is a very hard thing for us to do. It is not in my nature to be able to sit down in my living room (cause that is called "Mommy's Quiet Room") and ignore the pillow out of place or the glass left on the coffee table or the socks that Morgan took off and left on the floor or my flip flops by the door I didn't put away or . . . or . . . and I could go on but you get the idea. Do you do that too? I already do that on a daily basis every morning during my prayer time and every evening during my prayer time. I get so off-course! I start out so focused and then IT happens. Does this sound familiar? Laying in bed at night . . . "Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you so much for the many blessings you have placed in my life. You are an amazing God . . . did I put the dishes in the sink? Hmmm? Did I turn the alarm on? Maybe I should go check to see if the girls' uniforms are set out. . . . I'm sorry God. Lord, I have some special requests that were laid on my heart today. . . I pray that . . . oh no, what time is that meeting tomorrow morning?" You get the picture, right? So, you can see that this is going to be my challenge for the rest of this week and maybe next. I have the time because I won't have my next interview for ANOTHER couple of weeks which I just COULD NOT understand . . . . until today! STILLNESS . . . thank you God for that lesson today. Thank you for loving me enough to give me exactly what I need!

By the way . . . I will be leading a Bible study on Tuesday nights at Fishhawk Fellowship titled, "Loved By God." It is a Liz Curtis Higgs study on "Trusting His Promises & Experiencing His Blessings." How appropriate right? If you are interested in joining us, please visit www.fishhawkfc.org at search for the Women's Touch Ministry opportunities.

No comments:

"McAuley Time"